What is a program?
A program is a sequence of events or actions, as well as a preliminary description of upcoming events.
Meaning of the term "program"
There are several meanings of this term, depending on the sphere in which the word “program” is used. For example:
- A television program is a television program schedule or the actual video series dedicated to a specific topic and combined with a certain integrity;
- A curriculum is a document that was created within a specific educational institution in order to systematize the content and quantity of knowledge and skills required for students to learn;
- An election program is a document with theses of a politician or party during an election campaign;
- The research program is a systematic presentation of the theoretical and methodological prerequisites, the general concept of a research project in accordance with the main goals and objectives of the project;
- A computer program is a sequence of instructions intended for execution by a computer control unit.
In this article we will take a closer look at what a program is from the point of view of computer technology.
Types of computer programs
Each modern computer is filled with a huge number of programs. Even a computer with a newly installed operating system has a number of mandatory programs. To understand all this diversity, let's try to divide computer programs into types.
- BIOS (Base Input-Output System - Basic Input / Output System) is a program that starts to work when you start or restart a computer. Its main task is to check the availability and performance of all connected devices (hard drive, keyboard, processor, memory).
- The operating system is another fundamental program that controls the entire operation of your computer. Today, there are several of the most popular operating systems that run the vast majority of computers. These include: Windows, Linux (and other Unix-based systems), MacOS. The tasks of any operating system include:
- memory allocation between programs;
- management of the sequence of system programs;
- Query Processing;
- providing an interface with hardware;
- providing access to files, etc.d.
- Application programs are those programs that, first of all, interest the user. They are designed for storing, editing and processing various kinds of data (in text form, in photo or video format, etc.). With one of the types of application programs, the application, you can get acquainted in more detail with the help of the article: What is an application. For convenience of consideration, application programs can also be divided into such sub-types as:
- office programs that are mainly used to work with textual data format;
- financial or accounting programs that are designed to work with financial documents;
- game programs that are intended for entertainment and educational purposes.
- Utilities - a kind of program that has an auxiliary function. With their help, you can increase the efficiency of your computer. As an example, you can consider such programs as: archiver, defragmenter, antivirus, debugger, etc.
- Drivers - can also be attributed to the kind of auxiliary programs, as they control the connection to the computer of all devices.Thus, when each new device is connected, your computer installs a new driver into the operating system.
- The development environment is a special category of software used by programmers and designers to create new programs, websites, interactive films and presentations. This issue is also devoted to an article on our site: How to create a program. If you decide to create a program yourself, then you will have to learn more about such types of programs as: translators, compilers and interpreters.
Commercial status of programs
There is another, fundamentally different classification of computer programs. It is related to the way the software is distributed and the conditions that the developer requires when admitting to use his software. Depending on this program may be:
Can be downloaded without investing any funds.
Such programs are presented in trimmed versions or full-featured versions, but for a specific period of use or for a limited number of launches.
The use of such programs occurs free of charge due to the fact that an advertising banner of the company is built into the program itself, which pays for the use of this software.
Those. fully paid.
The types of programs listed here are the main and most common.
Phone case with embroidery Fawn
How to store dahlias
What do the moles on the body mean
How to change the world
How to draw ear